Updated: May 4, 2018
Apparently, coconut snowballs are a thing. What do you mean "a thing," isa? What I mean is that I made these coconut protein snowballs and everyone was all, "omg you made coconut snowballs?!" and I was like, "HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS" because apparently I thought my family invented coconut snowballs. Turns out that's a no.
One day after school circa 2011, I came home to my little sister, Belle A.K.A Belly, and step mom, Nina A.K.A. Ninny, making coconut snowballs. I thought they were god's gift from heaven. Perfectly sweet and chewy; just enough fat to hit that satiety button. They truly filled my soul.
Fast forward 7 years, and I forgot my beloved family coconut snowball recipe. I googled a bunch of recipes, looked through notebooks, searched through old text messages and nada. No clues.
So here I am now with a new rendition, but of course I will still attribute credit to Ninny- queen of Coconut Snowballs and Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies (this recipe will have to come soon).
Ninny and Belly's Coconut Snowballs [+ protein]
· 3 large medjool dates
· ½ cup coconut shreds
· 1 scoop of vanilla protein
· 1 tbsp raw shelled hemp seeds
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk
· ½ cup unrefined coconut oil
Add more coconut milk or dates if the mixture is too dry
1. In a high speed food processor, blend the coconut shreds with unsweetened coconut milk & coconut oil to form coconut butter paste
2. Add medjool dates, blend on medium speed
3. Add vanilla protein, hemp seeds & vanilla extract, blend on low speed
4. Form dough-like paste into balls & roll in left over coconut shreds
5. Refrigerate for 4 hours minimum before enjoying